The Fire Prevention Bureau, consisting of a Fire Lieutenant and 3 shift inspectors, enforce the Village’s fire prevention codes. All public buildings and commercial establishments are inspected at least once a year for violations and to insure safety. The North Riverside Fire Department is the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) for plan review and approval of fire protection systems. This includes new systems and/or modifications/alterations to existing systems. All required fire protection systems must be approved by the department before an occupancy permit will be issued. Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 708-447-1981.
Below are a few of the Ordinances that are currently being enforced by the North Riverside Fire Department.
Please keep in mind that these Ordinances are for the public, and other ordinances are in effect for businesses, and commercial buildings. If you have any questions, please contact the fire prevention bureau at (708) 447-1981 Monday-Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM.
Open (Outdoor) Burning, Ordinance Number 05-0-3
Knox Box Systems, Ordinance Number 03-0-10
False Alarm Fines, Ordinance Number 04-0-31
Fire Alarm Systems, Ordinance Number 91-0-10
Re Inspection Fees Ordinance Number 11-0-34
FIRE ALARM REQUIREMENTS
Smoke detection system shall be installed in accordance with N.F.P.A. The system shall include complete coverage with ceiling mounted, latching circuit smoke detectors with an LED indicating light. These shall be installed 15' from the wall, 30' on center, including all rooms with closing doors, such as bathrooms, utility rooms, and offices. A heat detector may be substituted for a smoke detector to eliminate false activations in some areas, subject to approval. The system, upon activation, shall sound an audio/visual alarm throughout the occupancy, shut down the H.V.A.C. system, and transmit a signal to the North Riverside Central Dispatch Center.
- The fire alarm system shall be installed with approved fire alarm wire encased in conduit.
- There shall be a strobe device in the washrooms.
- Pull stations shall be installed at all exits. Activation of a pull station shall perform the same function as an activated smoke detector.
- Fire alarm control panel shall be zoned, capable of sending an alarm directly to the Central Dispatch, and shutting down the H.V.A.C. System F.A.C.P. shall be capable of silencing the audio/visual devices without resetting or disabling the system.
- ANSUL systems shall be connected to the fire alarm system.
- Remote annunciator shall be installed at the main entrance. This annunciator shall show the zone activated. A legend giving the zone locations shall be posted at both the annunciator and the F.A.C.P. locations.
- The fire alarm system shall have battery back-up capabilities.
- Ordinance No. 93-0-18 states that the fire alarm system shall be monitored by the Village of North Riverside Central Dispatch Center via a dedicated fire Radio Network system to be connected at the North Riverside Central Dispatch Center by Johnson Controls.
- Permits are required, to be applied for at Village of North Riverside - Village Hall at 2401 S. DesPlaines Ave, North Riverside, Illinois.
KNOX BOX PROGRAM
The North Riverside Fire Department recommends the use of the Knox Box lock box to gain entry into a building, if necessary. Per Village ordinance 03-0-10, buildings with fire alarm or fire suppression equipment are required to have a Knox Box.
Before installation, contact the fire prevention bureau with regards to the proper location for the Knox Box. When installation is ready to be made, please call 708-447-1981 and someone will come out and place your keys in the Knox Box while you are present.
The Knox Box system works well as long as the keys used for access are kept current. We realize that for security reasons it may be necessary to periodically change these keys. It is important that whenever you make changes to the keys for building/business access, you notify the fire department. Someone from fire prevention will come out and install the new keys in your Knox Box. By keeping these keys current, you will eliminate any damage to your business should we need to gain entry for a fire alarm or other emergency after store hours. Also, please keep in mind that only the North Riverside Fire Department has the key to access the Knox Box.
You may request an application for a Knox Box through the fire prevention bureau or online at www.knoxbox.com.
Stopper II Fire Alarm Cover
Please click on pdf below for more Information regarding the Fire Alarm Covers.
Fire Alarm Covers
If you have any questions, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (708) 447-1981 Monday-Friday 8:30AM to 4:00PM.