Bicycle riding is a fun and healthy way to get around but it’s important to remember bikes are vehicles and precautions need to be taken to keep bicyclists safe.
Tips for Bicyclists:
- Wear a properly fitted helmet.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Obey traffic signs, signals, and lane markings.
- Use hand signals to signal lane changes, stops and turns.
- Be visible by wearing bright clothing or using reflective materials or lights on your bicycle.
- Never ride distracted or impaired.
Tips for Motorists:
- Pass bicyclists on the road with care by allowing at least 3 feet of clearance.
- Look for cyclists before opening a car door or pulling out from a parking space.
- Yield to bicyclists at intersections and as directed by signs and signals.
- Look for bicyclists before making turns.
- Respect designated bicycle lanes.
- Never drive distracted or impaired.
Illinois Bicycle Rules of the Road