To help keep rental residential property maintained and enhance property values, the Village Board recently adopted and approved an ordinance establishing single-family and multi-family dwelling units to register their property with the village annually and have annual inspections. As the owner of a rental property, the application needs to be completed and submitted to the village with the annual registration fee of $150.00. The annual registration is increased to $250.00 for properties with five or more dwelling units leased, rented or to be rented. If you possess more than one single-family rental property, then a separate registration application will need to be submitted for each property. Applications for a change in registration for single-family dwelling, due to a change in occupancy, shall be accompanied by a $25.00 registration fee. The Village shall issue said registration if the following conditions are met:
- Code Compliance: The applicant's property is not in violation of any ordinance of the Village.
- Designation Of Agent: No operating registration shall be issued or renewed for an applicant unless such applicant has first designated an agent for the receipt of service of complaints for violations of the provisions of this chapter or code and for service of process pursuant thereto when said applicant is absent from his or her normal place of business. Such a designation shall be made in writing, and shall accompany each application form.
- Renewal Of Registration: An application for renewal of an operating registration shall be made thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of the current operating registration. An application form shall be mailed to owner at least forty-five (45) days prior to the expiration of the current operating registration.
- Notice Of Change In Ownership: Every person holding an operating registration shall give notice in writing to the building official within ten (10) days after having transferred or otherwise disposed of legal control of any registered single-family dwelling, apartment building, multiple-unit, multiple dwelling, dwelling or dwelling units. Such notice shall include the name and address of the person or persons succeeding to the ownership or control of such single-family dwelling, apartment building, multiple-unit, multiple dwelling, dwelling or dwelling units.
- Term Of Registration: Every registration shall be in effect for one year, unless sooner revoked for cause by the Village and must be renewed annually.
All single-family dwelling, apartment building, multiple-unit, multiple dwelling, dwelling or dwelling units which are rented or leased or intended to be rented or leased will be inspected annually by a Village inspector. The fees for inspections are as follows:
In compliance with the ordinance, the application must be completely filled out and returned to the Village of North Riverside, along with the required fee. Additional information can be obtained from reviewing the Ordinance 22-O-02.