A lot of questions have been asked regarding unemployment and the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES). Senator Lightford has supplied the following answers:
1. Seniors/Disabilities: Are those on Social Security or Social Security Disability eligible?
Yes, Social Security benefits do not disqualify them from unemployment/insurance benefits.
2. Are Part-time employees eligible?
Yes, part-time employees are potentially eligible and should apply for benefits if their hours have been reduced.
3. Are 1099 independent contractors and self-employed people restricted from their employment due to the Executive Order?
1099 and self-employed individuals will be potentially eligible per the fereal stimulus package CARES Act. IDES will provide more information on that program in the coming days.
4. Can IDES explain the additional benefits that will be provided by the federal stimulus package and how they will interact with the State Unemployment benefits?
IDES will be issuing more information on this in the coming days.
5. What is the Mail-In Option?
Claims can be mailed into a claimant’s local office for processing, although this is not the recommended method by the agency. IDES STRONGLY ENCOURAGES claims to be filed via the website.