Error message

  • Deprecated function: Function create_function() is deprecated in eval() (line 9 of /home/northr16/public_html/dnr/modules/php/php.module(80) : eval()'d code).
  • Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2405 of /home/northr16/public_html/dnr/includes/


Q: When should you call 911?
A: When there is an emergency, lives are in danger, serious injury, serious medical condition, crime in progress or any other situation needing immediate attention. If you think about calling 911 or wonder if you should call 911, please CALL 911.

What should you do if you see a crime occurring?


Be observant and make mental notes, including asking yourself:

  • Are there any weapons involved?
  • What is the address?
  • Are there any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, a beard or scars?
  • Can you give any clothing description?
  • How many people are involved?

• Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle?


Do not try to handle in progress crimes on your own, instead call 911.

Q: Do I have to give my name when I call 911?
A: If you wish to remain anonymous or keep information confidential, just tell the communications operator.
Q: When is my power going to be restored?
A: The Police Department has no control over power utilities. During power outages, our dispatchers are very busy. Calling them to ask when your power will be restored may delay an emergency response. Please call 1-800-EDISON-1 (800-334-7661).
Q: I received a ticket. Can someone “fix it” at the Police Station?
A: No. All personal citations commonly known as moving violations or “tickets” must go before a Judge in the Circuit Court of Cook County. You must request a court date and go to court on the matter.
Q: What is the curfew law and times?
A: North Riverside curfew hours: Any person less than 17 years of age present or upon any public area between the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, or between the hours of 11:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday are subject to North Riverside curfew ordinances.
Q: How do I become a police officer?
A: Applicants must pass a written exam, medical exam, psychological exam, physical ability exam, medical screening, background and character investigation. On the day you are hired, you must be a U.S. citizen, at least 21 years old, have a valid driver’s license without restrictions and not have been convicted of a felony.
Q: How can I get my fingerprints taken?
A: The North Riverside Police Department provides fingerprinting services free of charge to North Riverside Residents only; you must provide your own fingerprint card.
Q: Does the North Riverside Police Department provide house checks while we are away on vacation?
A: North Riverside residents may have their residences checked while they are away on vacation. Simply fill out a Vacation and House Check form and drop it off at the Communications Desk. Make sure to include a contact number and your driver’s license number. North Riverside Police will check your residence daily if possible. When you return, call the non-emergency number (708 447-9191) and let us know that you’re back. You’ll need to provide your driver’s license number to the dispatcher for verification.